Adobe Illustrator: Calligram Project

 Final Project:



Estimated Time: 6.5 hours
    The art piece that I created is a calligram piece that was inspired by a cardinal. I chose a cardinal as my main (and only) inspiration as seeing this bird reminds me of home and gives a relaxing feeling that I can only describe as happiness. Whenever I see one of these birds I know that everything is going to be alright in the end. I felt this was fitting for my “20 years in the future letter” as I hope that, at the very least, I will be happy then. To achieve this final design I used mainly the pen tool and type tool from Adobe Illustrator. The project mostly consisted of me drawing shapes and then fitting the words into them with different fonts or merging the words with the shapes completely. Cardinals help remind me of home and of simpler times and I hope that, that feeling will resonate as time goes on.

Inspiration Pictures (and links):

https://in.pinterest.com/pin/481533385157691689/



Northern Cardinal - BirdWatching (birdwatchingdaily.com)


My Drawing:


Letter to future self:

Dear future self,

    Dang, 20 years into the future. I wonder if you remember writing this letter.

            Anyways, you’re around 38 years old if my math is right. Remember complaining about being

old at 18? I Can't even begin to imagine what your life is like, but at the very least I hope you

are happy. Did you succeed in going down the marine biology track or did you end up changing

your mind at some point? I guess I’ll be the one to find that out at some point, but it is cool to

wonder what life holds for me down the line. Did you ever get to see the Aurora Borealis?

I know how much you wanted to see those Northern lights. Remember in Astronomy in

high school when we learned about the Southern lights too? Man, compared to the future

this all probably seems like a bleak memory. I have to ask, are you still close to your friends?

I hope you are. I feel like I say “I Hope this” and “I hope that” but what I really want is for

you to be able to relax. That's what I truly want for you to be able to do in the future.

You’re probably looking back on these words and holding no sentimental value, but just know

you always have at least we rooting for you and cheering you on. I do have something to say.

I know Ray won’t be around twenty years in the future, so I will give him a big hug and pat

on the head for you. Once I am able to visit home again. I miss him now and I know you

will miss him then too. Make sure to make time for family and friends as time doesn’t last

forever but hopefully the memories will. Make good memories to laugh and look back on

fondly. Above all, live the way you want to. If you're looking for permission from someone,

then hopefully your past self is more than enough validation for the future. Remember to relax

and chill sometimes alright? I’ll be seeing you, or I’ll be seeing me later.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Somewhere

Business cards

Autoscopy